190 YEAR AND STILL INNOVATING
Founded in 1828, Bureau Veritas is an international group specialized in the inspection, analysis, audit, and certification of products. infrastructure (buildings, industrial sites, equipment, ships, etc.) and management systems in relation to regulatory or voluntary standards.
Bureau Veritas ranks as the world's second largest group in conformity assessment and certification services in the fields of quality, health and safety, environment, and social responsibility ("QHSE") and the world leader in QHSE services not including raw materials inspection.
Our global network is one of our key assets. With more than 1,500 offices and laboratories around the globe, we offer technical expertise within reach.
Wherever our clients are located, our network of offices and laboratories addresses their commercial and operational needs near their centers of production and trade throughout the world. Our strategically-placed regional hubs provide customer support and share knowledge relevant to local markets—allowing us to provide services of the same high standard in every country, continually strengthen client relationships and better ensure their success.
Our story began nearly 200 years ago, in 1828. Our logo has not changed much since. We are very proud of it. This logo shows the soul of our group and the soul of every employee.
Bureau Veritas was established "to seek out the truth and tell it without fear or favor." The allegorical figure of Truth, represented by a woman emerging from a well, was chosen as the logo.
The Bureau Veritas emblem showed a young woman seated on the edge of a well with her arms raised. In her right hand is a torch, in her left a mirror. Her left foot rests on a globe.
On the ground are a pair of scales, Mercury's wand (a caduceus), and a rooster with its eyes raised towards the woman. The horizon shows a three-masted vessel, sails billowing, passing across a bay.
The new logo, redrawn in 1990 in a pure heraldic style, adheres to the same symbolism.
- The date: symbol of long-lasting.
- The ship: the marine activities gave birth to Bureau Veritas.
- The seal: the endorsement, it is the symbol of the activity accomplished by the group.
- The torch: it is the knowledge, the expertise, and in someway, we can say it is our know-how.
- The rooster: represents watchfulness, meaning the constant attention paid by our employees.
- The mirror reflects the impartiality guiding every act of the employees.
- The scale: it is justice that alights our way of acting.
- The globe: symbol of our worldwide activity.
- The caduceus: symbol that Bureau Veritas is a company with a business ambition.
- To end, the silhouette shows both the human aspect of our business and the truth we are aiming to reach.